Back in 2012, Sony launched new series of Xperias. Few of them were high end devices (Xperia S, Xperia ion), some were middle range phones (Xperia Sola, Xperia U, Xperia P) & rest was low end devices (Xperia Tipo, Xperia Go). All these devices were launched withGingerbread 2.3.7 on board (Xperia Tipo is exceptional). After a month or two, Sony rolled out ICS update for its flagship devices & subsequently for middle range devices. As we all know that they’ve taken a bit long time to release ICS updates, it may not be tolerable. But anyways, finally it’s out.
Sony started upgrading Xperia U ST25i to ICS in September’12. At first, they rolled out 6.1.1.B.1.10 firmware for all the devices. Now by fixing the bugs & issues like random lag & resource management, they’ve pushed another ICS update with 6.1.1.B.1.54 firmware for India region. But with Flashtool (firmware flashing tool for all Xperias), you can apply it to any unbranded / unlocked Xperia U worldwide.
Android 4.0.4 ICS update has improved performance & stability over Gingerbread. Along with that many interesting features like face unlock are also added. ICS was one of the revolutionary update from Google & Sony has taken it to the higher level.
In this article we are going to discuss how you can upgrade your Sony Xperia U ST25i to 6.1.1.B.1.54 ICS 4.0.4 firmware.
Disclaimer : Steps given in this article are risky & can cause damage to your device. You should not try to attempt these things if you are unaware of it. Please follow this guide completely at your own risk. We won’t be held responsible if you damage your device while following this guide.
This guide must be applied only on Sony Xperia U ST25i. Don’t try to implement it on Xperia P / Xperia Sola or on any other device else it can turn in hardware failure of your device.
- Charge your phone at least up to 75% battery level.
- It is highly recommended to backup all your data from internal memory (includes contacts, messages (SMS/MMS), call logs, Internet APNs etc.). Your phone data will get lost after installation of this firmware (excluding External storage).
Procedure to Upgrade Sony Xperia U ST25i to Official Android 4.0.4 ICS Firmware(6.1.1.B.1.54):
- Download Xperia Flashtool fromhere. We’ll be using it for flashing the firmware.
- Download Xperia U ST25i Official Android 4.0.4 ICS Firmwarepackage (6.1.1.B.1.54) fromhere.
- Install Flashtool that you’ve just downloaded in your computer. For the sake of convenience, install it in root directory of C: drive.
- Extract ICS firmware package, you’ll get ST25i_4.0.4_Indian Firmware.ftf file on your extracted location.
- Navigate to ‘C: –> Flashtool –> Firmwares’ and delete all the data over there if anything is present.
- Now move ‘ST25i_4.0.4_Indian Firmware.ftf’ file in the above mentioned directory.
- Open Xperia Flashtool. Select Flash option (Black Bolt icon) from the top left corner of the tool (Refer to image given below).
- It will ask you to select either Flashmode or Fastboot mode. Select Flashmode &proceed
- further by hitting OK button.
- On next screen, Firmware selection window will appear. On left side, select ‘ST25i (version 6.1.1.B.1.54)’.
- In right side of the tool, tick following 4 options (Caution! Don’t tick any other option than 4 mentioned below).
- Wipe data.
- Wipe cached
- Wipe apps log.
- No final verification.
- Press OK. Wait for Flashtool to prepare firmware installation.
- Now, it will ask you to connect your phone. Before you connect your phone to computer, enter into Flashmode on it. To do so, switch off the phone completely. By holdingVolume down key, connect it to PC. If done correctly, you should see a ‘green light’ on the power.
- After establishing proper connection with the computer, flashing process will start.Firmware installation process may get stuck around 93%, which is normal. It stays there for 20-30 seconds and not more than that.
- Once you get “Flashing finished” message in Flashtool, remove your phone from PC & wait for it to reboot (It may take more time than usual for booting the device, which is normal. So don’t get panic & be patient).
That’s it! You have successfully updated Xperia U ST25i to Android 4.0.4 ICS firmware. Now in case if you need any help while flashing firmware, do comment below. We’ll try our best to sort out the same.
log hare :
Code:22/040/2013 21:40:42 - INFO - <- This level is successfully initialized 22/040/2013 21:40:42 - INFO - Flashtool Version 0.9.10.1 built on 2013-01-09 19:49:47 22/040/2013 21:40:42 - INFO - You can drag and drop ftf files here to start flashing them 22/040/2013 21:40:52 - INFO - Device disconnected 22/042/2013 21:42:11 - INFO - Flash canceled 22/042/2013 21:42:54 - INFO - Selected ST25i_4.0.4_Indian Firmware.ftf 22/042/2013 21:42:54 - INFO - Preparing files for flashing 22/046/2013 21:46:06 - INFO - Please connect your device into flashmode. 22/046/2013 21:46:43 - INFO - Device connected in flash mode 22/046/2013 21:46:43 - INFO - Opening device for R/W 22/046/2013 21:46:44 - INFO - Reading device information 22/046/2013 21:46:44 - INFO - Phone ready for flashmode operations. 22/046/2013 21:46:44 - INFO - Current device : ST25i - YT9002U6VS - 1261-3759_R3E - 1254-3522_6.0.B.3.188 - WORLD_6.0.B.3.188 22/046/2013 21:46:44 - INFO - Start Flashing 22/046/2013 21:46:44 - INFO - Processing loader 22/046/2013 21:46:44 - INFO - Checking header 22/046/2013 21:46:44 - INFO - Flashing data 22/046/2013 21:46:45 - INFO - Loader : S1_Root_3065 - Version : R5E006 / Bootloader status : ROOTABLE 22/046/2013 21:46:45 - INFO - Disabling final data verification check 22/046/2013 21:46:45 - INFO - Processing partition-image.sin 22/046/2013 21:46:45 - INFO - Checking header 22/046/2013 21:46:45 - INFO - Flashing data 22/046/2013 21:46:46 - WARN - This file is ignored : simlock.ta 22/046/2013 21:46:46 - INFO - Processing kernel.sin 22/046/2013 21:46:46 - INFO - Checking header 22/046/2013 21:46:46 - INFO - Flashing data 22/046/2013 21:46:47 - INFO - Processing fotakernel.sin 22/046/2013 21:46:47 - INFO - Checking header 22/046/2013 21:46:47 - INFO - Flashing data 22/046/2013 21:46:48 - INFO - Processing modemfs.sin 22/046/2013 21:46:48 - INFO - Checking header 22/046/2013 21:46:48 - INFO - Flashing data 22/046/2013 21:46:48 - INFO - Processing prcmu.sin 22/046/2013 21:46:48 - INFO - Checking header 22/046/2013 21:46:48 - INFO - Flashing data 22/046/2013 21:46:48 - INFO - Processing modem.sin 22/046/2013 21:46:48 - INFO - Checking header 22/046/2013 21:46:49 - INFO - Flashing data 22/046/2013 21:46:50 - INFO - Processing apps_log.sin 22/046/2013 21:46:50 - INFO - Checking header 22/046/2013 21:46:50 - INFO - Flashing data 22/046/2013 21:46:51 - INFO - Processing system.sin 22/046/2013 21:46:51 - INFO - Checking header 22/046/2013 21:46:51 - INFO - Flashing data 22/048/2013 21:48:46 - INFO - Processing userdata.sin 22/048/2013 21:48:46 - INFO - Checking header 22/048/2013 21:48:46 - INFO - Flashing data 22/048/2013 21:48:53 - INFO - Processing cache.sin 22/048/2013 21:48:53 - INFO - Checking header 22/048/2013 21:48:53 - INFO - Flashing data 22/048/2013 21:48:55 - INFO - Ending flash session 22/048/2013 21:48:55 - INFO - Flashing finished. 22/048/2013 21:48:55 - INFO - Please unplug and start your phone 22/048/2013 21:48:55 - INFO - For flashtool, Unknown Sources and Debugging must be checked in phone settings 22/048/2013 21:48:56 - INFO - Device connected in flash mode 22/053/2013 21:53:48 - INFO - Device disconnected
"do it your own risk"
Last edited by mobilewo; 12-18-2013 at 09:37 AM.